Hi, I’m Mary a Nurse Practitioner and Somatic Experiencing Practitioner.
A wise teacher first told me about Peter Levine’s book on healing trauma, Waking the Tiger. It wasn’t really an “ah ha” moment, more a gradual awareness. What I had experienced as a kid, was actually traumatic stress that was still acting inside of me. Knowing this and experiencing my own healing is a precious gift I offer to you. Many things supported me on my own healing journey—yoga, mindfulness, psychotherapy, nutrition. Yet none touched me or brought the sense of deep safety and freedom of somatic trauma therapy-especially the work of Kathy Kain and Steven Terrell and Steve Hoskinson.
- I trust in your capacity to heal naturally. I’ll be your travel guide and good company along the way. (I’ve been this way before!)
- I specialize in regulation and resilience after early trauma, using gentle, non-doing touch in most sessions.
- This work moves at the unhurried pace of “body time”. We take the time you need to feel safe, stable and ready.
- I’ll teach you the language of your nervous system and lots of self care you can use during and between sessions.
- The art and and science of trauma healing is exploding—I continually study and bring new information and understandings to our work together.
- I’m gentle, curious, intuitive, playful and adventurous, looking for the ways of working that speak to you. I am inspired by your courage.
- Although some say I’m quiet, people feel my strong presence. You may hear me say something surprising and know — I really hear and see you.
- I value diversity and inclusion. I do my own work to understand my privilege and its responsibilities. You are welcome here.
- Trauma lives in the body and the body has the say. When trauma’s inside, you may feel on guard, unsafe and “bad” in the deepest sense of yourself.
- As we work together, you’ll have new body experiences that shift your sense of self—finding inner safety, self trust and goodness.
- With practice, your brain will change—that’s “neuro-plasticity.”!
- Because we’re working with the core of trauma—imbalances at the brain and nervous system level— you’ll notice a deeper and more stable sense of wellbeing.
Throughout my Nurse Practitioner practice, I’ve focused on what is often missing in medicine— the foundations of wellness—nourishment, rest, simple, safe use of herbs and supplements, yoga and mindfulness practices, and caring human connection.
Now in my private practice as a somatic trauma therapist, I’m fully committed to science informed, naturalistic healing that fills the gap.
- Masters in Family Health Care Nursing, University of California San Francisco,
- California RN #267727 NP #7768
- ANCC National Certification, Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Somatic Experiencing—Trauma Resolution Therapy Practitioner, 2013.
- Somatic Experiencing training assistant 2016-present.
- Advanced studies:
- Touch Skills for Trauma Therapists. Resilience and Regulation afterEarly Trauma (Kathy Kain CMT MA and Steve Terrell PsyD.)2014-2017
- Organic Intelligence Expert (Steve Hoskinson MA) 2017
- Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine: Integrative Mental Health; Anti- inflamatory Diet.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: SF Zen Center: “Establishing the path to practice”; James Baraz: “Awakening Joy”; Rick Hanson: “Foundations of Well Being.